Dr. Kwang-Tsao Shao
PhD- SUNY at Stony Brook, USA, 1983
Office: Interdisciplinary Research Building for Science and Technology C304
- Fish Biodiversity, Biodiversity Informatics
Major Research Achievements (2013-2017)
- On Systematics, 7 new fish species were described and another two SCI papers related to the identification of fish eggs using morphology and DNA sequences were published, together with one book entitled “Identification Guide of Fish Eggs in Taiwan Waters”; on ecology, 6 SCI papers were published on the community and ecosystem trophic modeling at Chi-Ku lagoon and Tamshui estuary; on evolution, the molecular phylogenies of gobies and damselfishes were published. In addition, our website “Fish Database of Taiwan” (http://fishdb.sinica,edu.tw) attracts more than 30,000 hits a month. We also coordinated and established a website of “Taiwan Biodiversity Information network (TaiBNET)” (http://taibnet.sinica.edu.tw).
- Systematics of marine fishes including larvae and eggs and the molecular identification.
- Fish community studies/ecosystem modelling/Fish database
- Biodiversity and Molecular Evolution of Deep-sea Fish (NSC grant).
- Coordinate Taiwan Biodiversity Information Network (TaiBNET) and Taiwan GBIF( TaiBIF)(NSC grant)/ National Digital Archive Program-fish (NSC grant)
- Coordinate Kenting Coral Reef LTER project (NSC grant)
- Phylogeographic studies of coral reef fishes (AS grant)
- Community study of bottom trawl fishes around Taiwan (COA grant)
- EIA monitoring of fishes at NPP I, Ⅱ&Ⅳ (Taiwan Power Company grant).