Dr. Sheng-Feng Shen Deputy Director/ Associate Research Fellow
Dr. Sheng-Feng ShenDeputy Director/ Associate Research Fellow
Ph. D.－Cornell University, USA, 2009
Office: Interdisciplinary Research Building for Science and Technology C206
| Research Fields
My research focuses on understanding the social and
I am using an integrative approach that includes behavioral observation, experimental manipulation, and theoretical modeling, to study the fascinating phenomena of social evolution. The empirical systems I use include (1) the joint-nesting bird species, Taiwan yuhina, in which several unrelated females lay eggs in the same nest and group members provide communal parental care, (2) the grey-capped social weaver: a colonial cooperative breeders, living in extended family groups, in Kenya, and (3) the burying beetles, Nicrophorus nepalensis, a cooperative breeding social insect but cooperating with non-kin, in Taiwan.
期刊論文 ( 2016 - 2019 )
- Lin Y.-H, S.-F. Chan, D. R. Rubenstein , M. Liu, S.-F. Shen*, accepted, “Resolving the paradox of environmental quality and sociality: the ecological causes and consequences of cooperative breeding in two lineages of birds”, The American Naturalist. (SSCI) (IF: 4.265; SCI ranking: 16.5%) Link
- Wilkins, M.R.*, Scordato, E.S., Semenov, G.A., Karaardiç, H., Shizuka, D., Rubtsov, A., Pap, P.L., Shen, S.-F. and Safran, R.J., 2018, “Global song divergence in barn swallows (Hirundo rustica): exploring the roles of genetic, geographical and climatic distance in sympatry and allopatry”, BIOLOGICAL JOURNAL OF THE LINNEAN SOCIETY, 123(4), 825-849. (SCI) (IF: 2.288; SCI ranking: 66.7%) Link
- Liu, M., D. R. Rubenstein, S.-A. Cheong, and S.-F. Shen*, 2018, “Multitasking and the evolution of optimal clutch size in fluctuating environment”, ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION, 8(17), 8803-8817. (SCI) (IF: 2.44; SCI ranking: 37.3%,56.3%) Link
- Chan, W.-P. #, I.-C. Chen#, R. K. Colwell, W.-C. Liu, C.-Y. Huang, S.-F. Shen*, 2018, “Response to Qian et al. (2017): Daily and seasonal climate variations are both critical in the evolution of species’ elevational range size”, JOURNAL OF BIOGEOGRAPHY, 45(12), 2832-2836. (SCI) (IF: 4.248; SCI ranking: 17%,12.2%) Link
- Shen, S.-F.*, S. T. Emlen, W. D. Koenig and D. R. Rubenstein, 2017, “The ecology of cooperative breeding behavior”, ECOLOGY LETTERS, 20(6), 708-720. (SCI) (IF: 9.449; SCI ranking: 2.6%) Link
- Wang, H.-Y.*, Y.-S. Chen, C.-C. Hsu, and S.-F. Shen, 2017, “Fishing-induced changes in adult length are mediated by skipped-spawning”, ECOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS, 27(1),274-284. (SCI) (IF: 4.314; SCI ranking: 16.3%,13.5%) Link
- Lin, C.-C. L.- A. Dugatkin, H.-W. Yuan, P.-F. Lee, and S.-F Shen*, 2017, “A sequential collective action game and its applications to cooperative parental care in a songbird”, ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR, 129, 151–159. (SCI) (IF: 2.869; SCI ranking: 4.9%,33.3%) Link
- Chan, W.-P. , I-C. Chen, R. K. Colwell, W.-C. Liu, C.-y. Huang, S.-F. Shen*, 2016, “Seasonal and daily climate variation have opposite effects on species elevational range size”, SCIENCE, 351(6280), 1427-1439. (SCI) (IF: 37.205; SCI ranking: 3.1%) Link
- Safran RJ, Scordato ES, Wilkins MR, Hubbard JK, Jenkins BR, Albrecht T, Flaxman SM, Karaardic H, Vortman Y, Lotem A, Nosil P, Pap P, Shen S, Chan SF, Parchman TL, Kane NC, 2016, “Genome-wide differentiation in closely related populations: the roles of selection and geographic isolation.”, Molecular ecology, 25(16), 3865-3883. (SCI) (IF: 6.086; SCI ranking: 13.4%,12.5%,5.9%) Link
- Shen, S.-F.* and D. R. Rubenstein, accepted, “Environmental uncertainty and social behavior”, editor(s): Choe, J,, Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior, 2nd Edition.
- Shen, S.-F.*, H.-W. Yuan, and M. Liu., 2016, “Taiwan yuhinas: unrelated joint-nesters cooperate in unfavorable environments.”, editor(s): W.D. Koenig and J. Dickinson, Cooperative Breeding: Studies of Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior., pp. (in press), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.